Monday mornings will always find me joining Java for “Meet Me On Monday”. It’s a chance to meet and learn more about fellow bloggers, and a chance to share a bit about myself. I’m also joining the “Make Me Crazy Monday” blog hop again this week. I just love that bloghop–and their funny button!
Here are Java’s questions for this week:
2. Do you play Sudoku?
No, I don’t know how, but it looks sort of interesting.
3. What is your favorite vegetable?
Gee, I’ve never really thought about that! I don’t know if they are my favorite vegetable or not, but I eat more peas than anything else! Here in the south, peas are a very popular vegetable–garden peas, crowder peas, white acre peas, zipper peas, black eye peas, pink eye peas, field peas–just to name a few!
4. Do you color your hair? Yes, it’s so sad, but so necessary! I have dark hair, so I look “washed out” when the gray starts showing around my face. My hairdresser, Wendy, along with her bottle of hair color and scissors, is my BFF!
5. What is your favorite brand of clothing? I’ve never been one to get “hung up” on name brand clothing. I only like a certain style of clothing(comfortable), and that’s what I’m always looking for. A lot of my clothes are JC Penney’s “Cabin Creek” brand, and Wal-Mart’s brand “White Stag”.
Now for a few other things…After a weekend filled with absolutely perfect weather, near 70 degrees, I woke up this morning to rain! What a shocking change! I did, however, soak up plenty of rays over the weekend. With Groundhog Day coming up this week, I’m hoping that spring is just around the corner…
Our oldest son came down this weekend and he and my husband rode bikes together. My son refused to ride my bike, and he told me that my husband refused to ride my bike up beside the highway!!! Do you suppose it’s my pink flowered streamers that make them hesitate to be seen on it? (smile)
After thirty-nine years, I finally baked an edible pound cake! I’ve tried to bake pound cakes(different recipes) a few times over the years, and never had much luck with them. The texture was bad, or the taste wasn’t great, but yesterday I tried a new recipe that I got from Erica at 365 days of my life as a mom and it turned out great–except for the fact that a little of the batter ran over the side of the pan, and into the oven. Next time, I’ll know to take out a bit of the batter, or use a larger pan. I guess that just goes to show, success can come at any age! (smile) Since I’m on a modified diet, I quickly shared pieces of the cake with all family members, and one-half of the cake was gone before it even became cool…I’m sharing her recipe at the bottom of this post, because it’s a
good great one!
Country Pound Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups white sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Do not preheat the oven. Grease 10 inch tube pan and line bottom with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, shortening, and sugar on low-speed for 10 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, mixing well. Add the vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 1 hour. Remove to a cake rack and cool for at least 3 hours.