T’was The Night Before The Wedding…

So many wedding activities have gone on during the past few days, I’ve decided to break them up into stories.  Today’s story will center around the night before the wedding.

First of all, let me say that I highly recommend having the rehearsal dinner before the wedding rehearsal.  It worked out great for us.  People began arriving for dinner while I was getting the buffet set up.  By the time we got all of the food set out, everyone had arrived.

These days, people do all sorts of things for wedding rehearsal dinners, but I’m still traditional, and a bit old-fashioned.  Weddings don’t happy everyday in our family, so I wanted the occasion to be memorable–and “wedding-like”.  I chose to decorate the tables with white tablecloths, spring flowers, and tiny votive candles.  I bought throw away dinnerware that actually looked like china.  I hated to throw those plates away!!!  See those silver forks, spoons, and knives–they’re actually plastic!

After their original projector blew a bulb, the hospital (my husband’s place of employment) promised to have a projector overnighted on Thursday evening, so we could have it by Friday evening. It arrived by 10:30 Friday morning!  We showed two short video montages of Brad and Jennifer, following the completion of dinner.  Everyone seemed to enjoy both videos, especially the funny one I made at Jib Jab.  It “spoofed” Brad and Jennifer as a couple of hippies in love–to the tune of “I Got You, Babe”.

the bridesmaids...

Following dinner, we moved into the sanctuary for the wedding rehearsal.  At first it was total pandemonium!  I was told  that I had to light a candle during the ceremony.  I nearly died because I wasn’t expecting to have to do anything!  Whenever I practiced lighting the candle, I couldn’t get the stupid lighter to work.  Eventually, we swapped lighters for a less complicated one!

the groomsmen...

Finally, after two practices, everyone seemed to have an idea of what to do.  The pastor was beginning to fuss a bit, saying “it” wasn’t about the wedding being perfect, “it” was about getting married.  That was the first of several “interesting” comments he would make throughout the wedding process.  Following the rehearsal, most people left and went home.  Meanwhile, back in the church social hall, some of us still had some work to do.

The photographer requested that the wedding party be dressed and at church at 11 o’clock on the day of the wedding for pictures.  The wedding was scheduled at 2 o’clock.  That meant–no time to get lunch!

Following the wedding rehearsal, my daughter, my daughter-in-law, and I made piles of sandwiches, wrapped them, and put them in the fridge.  I bought chips, snacks, and made cookies so there would be food to snack on the following day– in between pictures.  I didn’t want any hungry wedding attendants!

Finally, we got the social hall cleaned up, and put back like we found it.  We loaded up all of the decorations, dirty linen, and left-overs, and headed home.  I don’t remember the exact time, but I think it was around 10 o’clock when we got home.  Shortly after that, my hubby and son-in-law went to Brad’s house to join “The Bachelor Party”.

The party ended around 1 in the morning.  I was still awake, planning for the “Big Day”.  As of 1 a.m. on the day of the wedding, Brad still hadn’t finished preparing the reception music…nor had he packed for the honeymoon!

Meanwhile, Jennifer went home to spend the night with her aunt, who is her mom’s younger sister.  Her aunt doesn’t live far away from the reception sight, so the two of them went by to see if the cabin was vacant.

When they arrived, they found a big party going on–complete with lights hanging in trees, and flamingos in the yard!!!  Jennifer panicked, and was afraid the cabin would be left in a mess.  She went to her aunt’s house, but the two of them returned to the cabin in the wee hours of the morning.

When Jennifer and her aunt arrived at the cabin for a second time, they found the cabin spotless, thank goodness!  They began to set up the “candy buffet” for the reception.  The candy buffet was one part of the reception that Jennifer wanted to set up herself–and she did.

The following day–the wedding day–Jennifer arrived at our house by 7:30 am to get the key to the church. She shared with us that she’d had a total of one hour and fifteen minutes of sleep the night before the wedding!

Published in: on June 28, 2011 at 9:36 am  Comments (5)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://edshunnybunny.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/twas-the-night-before-the-wedding/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

5 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Sounds like the perfect day! It all comes together somehow. So nice of you to share.

  2. We used that throw away china and silverware for my daughters rehearsal also…good stuff!
    They will both probably sleep through their honeymoon!

  3. I’m so glad that everything worked out as beautifully as they did. All of your hard work paid off. 🙂

  4. I knew it would be wonderful. The table is very pretty. I like the throw away stuff too. When my daughter got married we had the big white tent in our backyard and I made all the food, decorations, etc. I was exhausted but memory is great.

    Don’t you need another vacation?

  5. Sounds like a great evening and rehearsal. Also sounds like a lot of work for you but it is also a once in a lifetime event. Can’t believe she didn’t get much sleep.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: