I always look forward to participating in the Wednesday Hodgepodge! I learn something new each week, and I’ve met a lot of great people, as well. Joyce, our hostess, is great at providing us with a never-ending supply of diverse and interesting questions. Speaking of questions, here are this week’s questions, along with my answers:
1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758….besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?
Actually, I own two dictionaries. One of my dictionaries is very old. It’s a high school dictionary, and used to belong to my brother w-a-y back when he was in high school during the early sixties. My other dictionary is a college dictionary which I purchased only a few years ago, while taking college courses. These days I rely solely on the internet for any necessary definitions.
2. Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations? What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire?
No! Let me just say how sick I am of celebrations, as well as other things, being banned simply because they may be offensive to some! I’m offended by a lot of things that I see and hear each and every day, but I put on my big girl panties and deal with it!
3. What’s your favorite ‘dog’ movie?
“Where the Red Fern Grows”. It’s an old movie about a young boy and two hound dogs. I love the movie, but the ending makes me cry like a baby.
4. When were you last somewhere you’d describe as ‘too quiet’?
I can’t remember the last time when I felt like a place was “too quiet”. After many years of raising three children, and working in an elementary school, I happen to enjoy the silence! I do remember a time, many years ago, when our home seemed almost too quiet after our children all started to school, but I soon joined them by working at the school, so the silence was short lived!
5. Are you a neat cook or a messy cook? In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later?
I’m a messy cook! Sometimes I try to clean up as I go, but somehow I always end up with a mess by the time I finish. Thank goodness for the dishwasher, and a helpful husband!
6. Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute? Was your first thought COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY! Are you adventurous?
I heard about this skydiver, and my first thought was this– He must be crazy! No, I’m not adventurous at all, and I’m not ashamed a bit.
7. What’s not a word but should be?
“Catitudes”. It’s what the owner of multiple cats has to deal with!
Random: Update on my brother-in-law
A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned how sick my BIL had been. Following pneumonia and a lung abscess, he’d been sent home from the hospital still requiring IV antibiotics every six hours. He was having to drive 17 miles to his wife’s job, at 2 am, for her to administer his medications in the nursing home parking lot! My husband, Ed, volunteered to get up and go to his brother’s house to administer the 2 am therapy. Ed helped out for a week, then our sister-in-law chose to ask for a short leave of absence from her job. I’m happy to report that my BIL is doing much better. He still has another week of antibiotic therapy to go, but he’s getting better every day. Prayers are being answered.