Finally Friday!

Half-Past Kissin' Time

It’s definitely been ‘one of those’ weeks here in our neck of the woods!  There’s been just too much going on, and most of it’s been crazy, out-of-the-ordinary kinds of things.  Broken washers, leaky ceilings, sharing cars, family illness, you name it, we’ve had it!  If ever I needed to “keep calm and frag on”, it’s today!

Here’s what I woke up to find, this morning–


That’s supposed to be the new bird bath that Ed bought me for Mother’s Day, but, today, it appears to have fallen victim to something, but I have no idea what!  Hopefully, nothing’s broken.


So, I took a couple of days off from my search for a new washing machine, just to see how my old one would do, after Ed and Brad finished ‘tinkering’ with it.  It worked fine for exactly one day, then started up its usual nonsense, plus a new problem presented itself, too!  Last evening, I settled on a machine to buy on-line, put it in the (virtual)cart at Lowes, went through the checkout process, only to discover the transaction wouldn’t complete!  After 30 minutes of nonsense, I finally gave up!  Today, I shall try again, but I’ll try with Sears on-line.  Can I just take a moment to say how ridiculous I think it is to charge seventy-nine dollars to deliver a washing machine???  It’s a pitfall of living in the country, and not owning a truck!


Ed’s mom has been having health issues for several days.  Ed was at the ER with her, from midnight until two a.m., one night last week.  Early yesterday morning, his mom was back at the ER, and was admitted, this time.  She has several things wrong with her, but most stem from congestive heart failure.  Her ninety-one-year-old heart is simply not able to keep up anymore.  The doctor gives her a diuretic to remove the excess fluid buildup around her heart, she, in turn, becomes dehydrated.  As soon as the diuretic dosage is reduced, the fluid builds up again.  It’s a never-ending cycle.


Recently, our daughter has been experiencing several leaks coming from the ceiling of her house.  Ed crawled up into her attic, last night, and discovered the water is coming from the drain pan of the air conditioning unit.  The drain had become clogged, and the safety switch hadn’t cut the unit off.  In her case, water was pouring, and it wasn’t even raining!  Ed blew out the drain, so we’ll hope that cures her problems.


At 10:00 yesterday morning, our oldest son, Brett, called.  You could definitely say he was having a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day.  To begin with, he and his wife had been without one of their cars for several days because one car was being repaired from an accident.  Someone kept sending the body shop the wrong part, which, in turn, kept holding up the completion of repairs.  Yesterday, Brett borrowed Ed’s mom’s car.

I always tell Brett to beware because Mema’s car is old and is subject to have problems.  (Last time he used it, a knot came up on the  tire.)  Brett was already late for work because he had to stop by and get some blood work done on the way.  When he arrived at work, he rolled the car window down to swipe his ID card, and discovered the car window wouldn’t roll back up!  Panic set in.  Next, Brett couldn’t find a ‘legal’ place to park, so he had to park ‘illegally’, and thought he saw a woman trying to get his tag number.  He went into work, and explained to his boss that he needed to go back home, to return his grandmother’s car, because the window won’t roll up.  His boss wasn’t  overly sympathetic, and couldn’t understand what the big deal was!  So Brett went and bought some Saran Wrap.  He tried to put the plastic over the open window, but thanks to the uncontrollable stickiness of Saran Wrap and intermittent puffs of wind, he wasn’t successful.  He even tried using duct tape, too!  By then, Brett is beyond frustrated, and tells his boss that he’s going home.  Back at the car, Brett sticks his arm through the open window to unlock the car.  This action sets the car alarm off!  Brett doesn’t have the key fob with him, and has no idea how to shut off the alarm without it.  A bystander offers to help.  Finally, after rummaging through the overly crowded glove box, Brett retrieves the car manual, and discovers how to shut off the alarm (use the key).  He calls it a day at work, and heads home…and I thought my day was going bad!  By the way, Brett got their car out of the shop, yesterday, but Mema’s is in the shop now!


I think it’s safe to say, everyone in our neck of the woods is glad it’s Friday!  And to think, it was only a four-day week!

I’m linking up with Friday Fragments over at halfpastkissintime, and I thank Mrs.4444 for hosting 🙂  Have a great weekend!

Published in: on September 6, 2013 at 9:23 am  Comments (8)  
Tags: , , , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

8 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. I feel for Brett. I set off the alarm when I first got my present car, and although I had the key fob, I had no idea what to do. Like him, I was aided by a passer-by.
    Years ago, a friend and I were driving to Boston in my old VW, I pulled up to a toll booth, went to roll down the window only to have the handle come off. Being young and giddy we were paralyzed with laughter. Not so the toll taker or the drivers behind. I finally opened the door and handed over my quarter,

  2. Keeping your mother in law in my prayers. ((HUGS))
    That is strange about your bird bath and gnome.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.

  3. We went through similar events with my mother and my MIL. Keeping her , Ed, you and all her other loved ones in my prayers.

  4. I see the bird bath in several pieces and the lawn gnome on his nose – but what is the snowy stuff??? Please tell me it’s some kind of pollen or seed fluff or something.

  5. Oh, your poor little birdbath and gnome. He looks pretty sad laying there. I’m sorry about your MIL. I hope your weekend goes a little more smoothly.

  6. What a week you’ve had … praying that things will settle down and go more smoothly for you.

  7. Your poor son. I have been there and it is SO frustrating and embarrassing.
    Poor gnome too. Those little guys always scare me a bit. Maybe he tried to go on vacation. (like the one in the commercial)
    I don’t live in the country and had to pay $79.00 for Home Depot to deliver my dryer. The store is literally 5 minutes away. It took them less than 5 minutes to bring it in and hook it up.
    I work with a lot of clients with congestive heart failure. It is a no win situation. It is nice that Ed spends time with her in the hospital. A lot of others don’t. Makes me so sad.
    I hope your weekend goes slowly and more peacefully.

  8. Sorry to hear about your MIL’s failing health; that’s never easy. Maybe her car is protesting 🙂

    Poor gnome…

    I hope you like your new washer 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: