It’s time for The Wednesday Hodgepodge! Come on in, take your shoes off, and sit a spell…
1. Elizabeth Lawrence is quoted as saying, ‘Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn.” So have you done just that? And what did you leave undone in order to do so?
There’s not much turning of the leaves going on where we live. We’re literally surrounded by pine trees, with a couple of oaks, maples, and sycamore trees scattered about. Most of our trees don’t turn pretty fall colors. However, I did sit still, this past weekend, long enough to notice the brilliant blue color of the sky, and to enjoy watching a fire burn in the new fire pit. As for what I left undone? A lot of things, most of it housework!
2. Since we’re talking turning…what’s one thing you feel you’re doing ‘every time you turn around’?
Vacuuming the kitchen floor! Honestly, I don’t know where all of the trash on that floor comes from, with just two of us living in the house! It drives me crazy!
3. How hard is it for you to ‘turn the other cheek?’
Sometimes it’s still hard to ‘turn the other cheek’, but not as difficult as it used to be, when I was younger. I think age (and experience) has made me more tolerant and forgiving.
4. When did you last turn a drawer, your car, a room, or your entire house upside down looking for something? Did you find it?
The last time I turned the house upside down looking for something, was at the beginning of this year, when I lost my eye glasses. I never did find them, believe it or not! I guess when I lose something, I lose it for good.
5. ‘One good turn deserves another’…were you most recently on the giving or receiving end of that sentiment?
I was on the receiving end, when my daughter called and invited me to ride into town with her, on Monday. The week before that, she invited me over for lunch. Sometimes, she’s thoughtful like that.
6. Red, yellow, and orange are the colors of fall. Also the colors of fruit. If you were permitted only one color of fruit in your diet, which would you choose? This question isn’t as easy as it sounds, at least not for me.
You’re right, Joyce, it’s not easy to choose, but I’m going to say ‘orange’ because there are several different kinds of citrus fruits that I like. I think ‘red’ would be my second choice!
7. The Hunt for Red October, October Sky, Halloween…which ‘October’ film is your favorite?
I don’t have a favorite ‘October’ film, at least not one I can think of. However, there is a ‘made for television’ movie that I like, called ‘November Christmas’. (A portion of the movie concerns Halloween, that’s what made me think of it!) This movie is usually broadcast on television, each year, and if you haven’t seen it, you’ve missed a good one. (November Christmas will be airing Nov. 2 on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel)
Several months ago, I posted the story about the ‘Claxton Quarter Horse Twins’. The mare died from the trauma of the twins’ birth, and one of the foals died, a day or so later. However, the other twin survived, after first being bottle fed, then finally being taken in and nursed by another mare named ‘Ruby’, along with her own foal, I might add!
Here are a couple of comparison photos of the surviving filly, named ‘Vic’, which is short for ‘Victorious’: (photos via Claxton Quarter Horse Facebook page)
Then (February 28th) and now (October 19th)
wearing the same blanket!
Thanks to a lot of TLC, ‘Vic’ is growing into a beautiful young filly! I love a happy ending, don’t you?
**As always, many thanks to our hostess, Joyce, for furnishing these great questions and for hosting the Hodgepodge on her blog. You, too, can join in by clicking her button at the top of this post!