Autumn Adventures…

Lately, we’ve been so busy living life, there’s been no time to blog about it.  Days like that are the best ones, in my humble opinion.  However, I figured I’d better take a little time to write a few blog notes in case I need them for future reference.  Does anyone else use their blog as a type of diary, or am I the only one?

It’s been almost 15 years since we bought our last new car, the PT Cruiser, so Ed and I finally figured it was getting about that time again.  “Classy”, the Cruiser, is still in good shape, and I still love her dearly, but, more and more I’ve found myself wondering if we’re going to make it to our destination and back without another incident.  Like the one, two years ago, when her timing belt broke and she left us left stranded beside the road on the way home from St. Simon’s Island.

Ed and I have been looking around, on and off, for a while, but last week found Ed and me on the last leg of our long journey of looking for “just the right vehicle”.  Now I remember why we waited so long to swap vehicles!  I hate shopping for a new car, and we both hate dealing with car salesmen.  On Wednesday, we found “just the right vehicle”, as well as “just the right salesman”, but that’s a story for another day.  I will tell you this, though– it was quite an adventure!

The day after our “vehicle buying adventure”, which involved riding/driving 200 miles, I had to go back to the neurologist for my post-op checkup.  The trip to the doctor’s office involved traveling another 120 miles.  Let’s just say, we did more than our share of riding/driving last week!  Anyway, I got a good report from the doctor’s assistant, and was released, with orders to call them if anything happens and I need them again.  She told me I still need to take things easy for another two to three weeks, though.

The strange ‘sensations’ I’ve been having in my leg, since my surgery, have all disappeared now.  I have only a slight bit of numbness, occasionally.  The doctor’s assistant told me the numbness is always the last thing to go away.  She also told me the reason I had the ‘three day relapse’, three weeks after surgery, was probably because the steroids [injected into my spine during surgery]  were wearing off.  She explained how they injected steroids into the spine [during surgery] to calm the irritated sciatic nerve, and help keep pain levels lower after surgery.  It made perfect sense to me, I just had no idea they did this.

I’m now able to walk a mile a day again (1/2 mile in the morning and 1/2 mile in the afternoon) without any leg pain.  Hooray!  Occasionally, I still have some back pain, and I’ll always have to be careful what I do because of those two bad discs, but, overall, things are SO MUCH BETTER!  I can live with a little back ache, as long as I can walk without discomfort.

On the day of my doctor’s appointment, my daughter had an appointment with her dermatologist in the same city as me.  Ed and I met up with her and her family for lunch, which was a nice treat sandwiched in between both of our appointments.  We ate at Old Time Country Buffet, and I’m sure glad I didn’t have to weigh in at the doctor’s office, afterward 🙂

On Friday night, our daughter-in-law, Christina, invited all of the family down to their house.  She made ‘Chicken Spaghetti’ using the Pioneer Woman’s recipe, and it was delicious!  She also had salad, bread, and she made a delicious cake using a recipe she borrowed from her sister.  Everyone enjoyed the food and fellowship very much, plus I enjoyed going to somebody else’s house for a change!  Sadly, our youngest son, Brad, and his family weren’t able to make it because of illness.  They’ve been passing around a cold between them for over a week.

We’ve been enjoying these cool, fall-like mornings here in Georgia.  The mornings and evenings are cool, but the days warm up nicely.  This is my kind of weather!  I just wish we had some pretty foliage to look at.  We’re surrounded by only pine trees, which stay green all of the time!

Speaking of “being surrounded”, we are also surrounded by several fields of cotton.  The plants are ready for harvest, so every field is as white as snow.  It’s a beautiful sight to see, in autumn.  People often go out into the fields and take pictures, which is what I wanted to do.  Ed and I had planned to do this on Saturday afternoon, immediately after we returned from our weekend shopping trip.  Unfortunately, when we arrived home, we discovered this:


photo via Google

We’d arrived too late!  The farmer was already busy harvesting his fields of cotton!  Oh well, maybe next year…

That’s pretty much what’s been going on around here.  What kind of ‘autumn adventures’ have you been having?



Published in: on October 19, 2015 at 9:36 am  Comments (5)  
Tags: , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

5 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Glad you were able to get a new vehicle. Yes, I hate car shopping too, but I love having a new vehicle, well, at least new to us.

    Thank the Lord for a good medical report. I’m so glad you are feeling so much better.

    I really like that picture of the cotton. I’d love to see a whole field of cotton.

    Have a great day!

  2. I definitely use my blog as a diary with the hopes that future generations can get to know who I am buy reading it! Congratulations on getting a new car. Happy to hear that your doing so well after your surgery. Keep it up! Sounds like you have been very busy.

  3. Congratulations on your new car. I know how you feel about saying good-by to Classy. I’ve never yet traded in a car without shedding a tear or two.
    As for the purchase itself, with my last two vehicles I’ve researched the model and want and obtained a quote from the dealership on the internet before going in, and have found it makes it a lot more pleasant since I am in control,

  4. So good to catch up with you and your wonderful news!! I can’t wait to hear more about the new car. I hope we have a couple more years before we have to start the search, but two of my coworkers have just purchased new vehicles. The cotton fields always amaze me. They really do look snow-like. I think you got a pretty good photo to share!

  5. Yes, its harvest time….I noticed lots of stacks of cotton just today on my way back from dropping the Princess and the boy (her friend) at school for band practice…these kids had volunteered today at Special Olympics and so were excused from classes. The stacks are where the trailers park the cotton before it is ginned.There is a gin on the road to the school….
    You’ve been busy too…..I have injured my back twice and so far have avoided surgery… I know all about being careful and living with the pain….walking does help so much as does doing everything the correct way, even getting in and out of bed….
    We’re going to Ellijay in a few days for our Fall vacation…hope the leaves have turned and the days are still in the 70s.
    Mama Bear

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: