The Monday After…

Yes, it’s the beginning of another new week, and the Monday after?  Well, actually it’s the Monday after a lot of things.

It’s the Monday after mine and Ed’s brief trip to Florida.  We had a great time visiting with family and friends, but, apparently, the trip almost “did both of us in”, afterward.  Both of us spent most of last week resting on the couch and in the recliner!

Actually, Ed had been sick for a couple of weeks, when we left.  He’d been battling head/chest congestion, and had finally given in and gone to the doctor a few days before our trip.  It’s been exactly three weeks, since Ed caught his “cold”, and he’s still not rid of the mess!

In fact, Ed gave me quite a scare, on Thursday night, when he coughed, turned bright red, and grabbed his head. (His previous heart attack began with a cough)  I asked if he was okay, and he said his neck/head hurt.  He got up, took his shower, and promptly went to bed.  A short while later, I heard him in the bathroom violently throwing up.  I thought, for sure, we were on our way to the emergency room again!  He said he was okay, but we both spent a long, restless night, wondering what was going to happen next.  He never threw up again, but he was pale and weak for two days afterward.  Neither of us has a clue what happened.

Then I came down with a case of sinus congestion, and started taking Sudafed right before our trip, which apparently caused my blood pressure to drop, on the way home from our trip.  I started feeling bad on the way home, but didn’t figure out the problem for a couple of days.  I just knew I felt weak, “faint”, and had shortness of breath.  After taking my blood pressure, and discovering that it was low, I put the pieces of the puzzle together and stopped taking the Sudafed.  My blood pressure slowly began to rise.  Add to that, excessive joint and back stiffness, from riding so much in such a short period of time, and I was down [on the couch] for the count!

Meanwhile, during our “down and out session”, it began to rain here.  It rained over six inches in twenty-four hours!  Our house was literally surrounded by water when we woke up on Thursday morning.  We had to wear rain boots to even go outside!  The road leading up to our house was underwater.  It was crazy!  Finally, after lunch, on Thursday, Ed was able to get outside long enough to “ditch” some of the water away from the road and our yard.  Then we got another inch of rain on Saturday!


rain, rain go a way…

Whenever we get excessive rain, in a short period of time, our well water gets “muddy”.  So, for now, we can’t drink the water or wash clothes.  Well, I suppose we could drink it or wash clothes in it, but who would want to, when the water in the faucet is brown???  I can barely stand the thoughts of taking a shower in the murky stuff, but there’s no choice.  Sigh.

In addition to the excessive water outside, some of us had “excessive water problems” inside!  The roof on our daughter’s house sprang a leak…in her daughter’s bedroom!  What a mess!  This isn’t the first leak they’ve had–and they just had their house re-roofed back in 2009! They’re trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Unfortunately, Ed and I ‘sprang [another] a leak’, too, just inside the living room door.  It wasn’t our first leak either.  We battle leaks on a regular basis, thanks to Ed’s inexperience at putting on a tin roof, several years ago…  For now, we have a mixing bowl [in our attic] underneath the  leak, until Ed can take care of our latest problem. I hope it doesn’t involve a trip on top of the house, again.

We ended the week with a family Super Bowl pajama party at our daughter’s house, last night.  She’d planned to have everybody over, then ended up not feeling well, on Sunday.  She spent most of her day on the couch, while her husband made the soup for the party.  At the last-minute, she texted everybody to wear their pajamas because… well, she just didn’t feel like getting dressed, and didn’t want to feel out of place.  Almost everybody wore their p.j.’s, and it was fun!  This could be the start of a new tradition!

We watched most of the Superbowl game, but may have gotten distracted a time or two, catching up with each other’s week.  Our youngest son had a near encounter with a tornado, on his way home from work.  He saw the tornado, on Ft. Stewart, but, only from a distance, thank goodness.  The storm hit the nearby army base around 5 p.m.  Fortunately, nobody was injured in the tornado, but there was a lot of damage to trees, cars, and homes.  Around 40/50 people were actually displaced from their homes.

12642890_1116715181702196_5542229801577540852_n tornado

tornado hit nearby Ft. Stewart, GA, this week

Meanwhile our son-in-law experienced”the day from hell” during his Saturday shopping trip, in preparation for the Superbowl party. (Think lots of spilled/dropped things, along with accidentally pushing the car’s “panic” button twice)  Both of those stories trumped anything we saw during the game…well, with the exception of a couple of funny Doritos commercials and one very funny Hyundai commercial, shown below.

Our daughter swears her husband will be like the daddy in this commercial.  She’s probably right.

Today, the sun is shinning, Ed and I are feeling better, and it’s shaping up to be a better week–we hope.  As for our plans, I think we’ll take our forms to the tax man.  Sounds like fun, doesn’t it?

Happy Monday!

Published in: on February 8, 2016 at 10:44 am  Comments (5)  
Tags: , , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

5 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. I’m glad to see you were able to end on a happy note. I hope last week’s incidents are rarities in what will be a better year than last for you and Ed.

  2. I’m glad your hubs is okay. Getting older is not for sisssies, we’re certainly learning that! Glad you had a nice visit with family!

  3. This respiratory crud as I’m calling it is hard to get rid of….Jim has been to the dr twice. His began in November and comes and goes….right now he isn’t coughing too much…I had, first a cold and then it moved to my chest so I’ve been using the nebulizer for a couple of weeks…it isn’t all gone but I cough it up now.
    We had a lot of rain also in January with flooding in places….
    A super bowl party sounds like fun….I was thinking about that just last night when Jim said cheese dip and wings is supposed to be what we eat instead of leftovers.
    Take care
    Mama BEar

  4. That is scaring with Ed. Glad he’s okay.
    I didn’t see that commercial; it must have come on after I went to the other room to watch Downton Abbey!
    PJ Super Bowl Party sounds fun!!! What a great (new) tradition!

  5. Wow, so much going on in your life!!! Glad your both feeling better and sounds like Super Bowl was a fun time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: