I’m running a bit behind with posting this Hodgepodge, today. This morning, our internet decided to be difficult, but it’s back on now, and all is well. Once the internet began working, I could actually see ‘the linky’ for the Hodgepodge, this morning! Yay! It’s the little things that mean so much, folks. As always, I’m grateful for our hostess, Joyce, and the wonderful job she does with The Hodgepodge 🙂 Here are today’s questions:
1. Thursday (September 22) is the first official day of autumn in this part of the world…how will you welcome the season? I know some of you have been celebrating way too early, but it’s official now so permission granted. House Beautiful recently listed ten ways to make your home smell like fall (you can read the list here) What’s a scent you love this time of year and how will you add it to your home?
I’d like to say I’ll be welcoming the season by sitting on our front porch, enjoying a cool autumn breeze, but that won’t be happening. Why? Because it’s still hot here, and huge swarms of ‘love bugs’ have recently taken over our porch!
Actually, I’ll probably just get dressed, on Thursday, and go to a nearby Tractor Supply to purchase some chicken feed. I may even pick and shell a few more peas, too. Aren’t you in awe of my exciting life?
As for autumn scents, I like pumpkin, cinnamon, or anything that smells like a fireplace burning. I recently bought some wax melts from Better Homes, called Autumn Afternoon Stroll, that smell nice. I use wall flowers from Bath and Body Works, or wax melting pots to scent our home. Once it gets cold enough, I’ll burn a candle, too, sometimes.
2. Apple pie or pumpkin pie? Apple cake or pumpkin bread? Warm apple cider or a pumpkin spice latte?
I prefer apple pie over pumpkin pie. I don’t care for apple cider, and I’ve never tried any of the other things.
3. Do you suffer from what is sometimes referred to as an afternoon slump? What helps ward it off before it hits and/or tell us what helps you shake it off once it’s here?
Boy do I ever suffer from “afternoon slump”! It hits me everyday about 2 p.m. I don’t fight it, I just head for the couch and take an afternoon nap. It’s one of the perks of being retired!
4. Ladies-how have your friendships with women inspired you or made you a better person? For the men here today- how have your friendships with men inspired you or made you a better person?
Two of my newest women friends are both in their 80’s, and they have inspired me to embrace aging with a better attitude. Both are wonderful Christian ladies, who are still very active in their church (or they were until they recently became ‘displaced’) and both are still very active in life, as well. One still mows her own grass, the other goes to the gym three times a week. One of the ladies recently broke her arm, but she just smiles and has the best attitude about it, saying, “It could always have been worse.”
5. Are you a people pleaser? If you said yes, do you think that’s a good or bad thing? If you said no, do you wish you were more of a people pleaser?
In younger years, I was more of a people pleaser. These days, not so much. I wish I felt like doing more for others, but life is what it is, and it’s not always what I wish it was. Sometimes, the spirit is willing, but the body just won’t cooperate.
6. The seasons are a-changin’…share a favorite song relating in some way to change (not necessarily seasonal change, it could be change of any kind).
I couldn’t really think of a personal favorite, but this is a good song…
7. What do you wish would never change?
Loving and trusting relationships.
I’m scheduled to have office surgery, next Tuesday, to have a rather large cyst removed from my right buttock. As you can imagine, I’m a bit embarrassed, and not really looking forward to having this surgery done, but it’s necessary. I sure would appreciate your prayers. Thanks.