Happy Tax Day! Ha! Gotta’ love it–not! What I do love, though, is participating in The Wednesday Hodgepodge, so let’s jump right in, shall we? As always, thanks to our gracious hostess, Joyce, for the, sometimes ‘taxing’ questions. Ha!
1. Speaking of April 15th…what’s the most ‘taxing’ thing you’ve done recently?
You could say, just getting through the last seven days of life has been ‘taxing’. Dealing with government agencies, termites, mold under the house, and a pinched nerve in my back tends to create stressful living conditions.
2. When did you last take a taxi somewhere and where was that somewhere?
Believe it or not, I’ve never ridden in a taxi!
3. What’s something you can do today that you couldn’t do a year ago?
I can now spend 24 hours a day/7 days a week with my husband, Ed. I couldn’t do this a year ago, when he was working. Retirement has been an adjustment, but we’re glad to have the extra time together.
4. How often is chicken (in some form or fashion) on your menu at home? Which of the following would you most like to see on your table tonight…a chicken salad sandwich, your mom’s fried chicken, a Chick-fil-A meal, Cracker Barrel’s chicken n’ dumplings, a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings, or ‘hold the chicken, I’m a vegetarian‘…?
Chicken is on the menu about once or twice a week, at our house. Eggs are on the menu pretty much daily since they’re so plentiful here.
This isn’t one of the choices listed, but I’d most like to see a plate of my late father-in-law’s fried chicken on my table. He made the best fried chicken I’ve ever eaten, and oh, how I do miss it!
5. What was your favorite television program when you were a kid? What characters do you remember the most?
My [earliest] favorite show, as a child, was Captain Kangaroo. I used to watch it every morning. I most remember the Captain, Mr. Green Jeans, and Bunny Rabbit. Bunny Rabbit was a rabbit puppet, who wore glasses, and was always grabbing carrots with his ‘paws’. I remember Grandfather Clock, too, but he looked a little bit creepy when his eyes moved back and forth!
The cast of characters from Captain Kangaroo, lt. to rt. : Dancing Bear, Bunny Rabbit, The Captain, Grandfather Clock, Mr. Moose, and Mr. Green Jeans.
6. What was the last piece of ‘art’ you made?
I made some ornaments for Valentine’s Day and Easter, to hang on my ‘year round’ tree.
7. What frustrates you most about the Internet?
I used to get really frustrated when we had ‘Wild Blue’ satellite internet. Every time it rained, we’d lose our internet service, which was pretty often. A few years back, we finally got DSL in our neck of the woods! Yay! Not much frustrates me about the Internet, these days, unless it’s those folks who post every little thing they do on Facebook, or those who leave really nasty comments about someone.
If you read Monday’s post, then you know Ed and I are dealing with several issues, at this time. Nothing has been resolved, concerning our house issues, and my back and leg are continuing to give me trouble. I’m pretty much stuck in a chair or on the couch all day. Yes, you could say we’re experiencing some very ‘taxing days’… In addition to trying to take care of business matters (regarding Medicare, health insurance, termites, and mold), poor Ed is pulling ‘double duty’ now that I’m out of commission. He’s seeing about the house, the chickens, the garden, and anything else that arises. Taxing days, indeed.