A Few Friday Fragments…

Half-Past Kissin' Time

What a week it’s been!  It’s been the most ‘normal’ week we’ve had in two weeks, but, still, it’s been far from a normal week.  It’s been one of those weeks when it’s just plain hard to keep calm!

For instance, on Monday, I received a phone call telling me that our daughter-in-law, Jennifer, was in the hospital because she was having labor pains while at work!  For two days, amidst the back and forth phone calls, tracking Jennifer’s progress, I stayed busy writing thank you notes concerning Ed’s mom’s funeral. I’m happy to report, the thank you notes are finished, and Jennifer is home from the hospital.  Life goes on, and God is good.

Jennifer spent two days and nights in the hospital, where she received medication to stop her contractions. She also received steroid shots to help the baby’s lungs develop.  Jennifer was released on Wednesday afternoon, but will remain under the  frequent, watchful eye of her doctor.  Hopefully, baby Evan will stay put for a little while longer.  Jennifer has just under seven weeks to go until her due date, but I don’t expect her to go that long.  However, every day that baby Evan stays put, will make it easier for him at birth.  According to the sonograms, he weighs in at 4 1/2 pounds right now.

On Monday I rode with Ed to take care of some of his mom’s business.  He had to go out-of-town to see about stopping her VA checks, since she recently passed away.  Tuesday was followed by more out-of-town business.  So many ‘loose ends’ to tie up, following a death, and we’re just getting started!  Sigh. Ed and I keep telling ourselves, “One day at a time…”

On Tuesday I, also, went to visit our youngest grandson, Chase, at his house.  For some strange reason, Chase has begun to associate me with being separated from his mother, which he dislikes very much!  The sight of me brings him to tears!  I’m determined to over come this stigma by visiting with him at his house–at times when I’m not needed to babysit!

After three days of cloudiness, mixed with a little rain, the sun is shining here this morning.  It’s very cool outside, a typical fall morning, which I’m glad to see.  I already have my fall decorations out, soon I’ll be getting ready to shift into Halloween mode.  My grandchildren enjoy those decorations!

Speaking of grandchildren, Caden, our oldest grandson, who’s four, is still adjusting to pre-K.  He’s been finding the separation from his mom a little difficult, but he’s working on it, and doing better. Granddaughter, Madison, who is almost seven, is doing well with first grade home-schooling.  I’m amazed at how much she has learned in just six weeks!  She writes beautifully, in cursive, and has memorized many math facts, as well as an entire (long chapter) passage from the Bible!  She reads very well, too.  Oh, to have the mind of a six-year-old again!

Today I’m going to town to run a few errands, stop by the cemetery, then come home and try to catch up on a little housework.  I’m running so far behind, I’ll never catch up!  There just aren’t enough hours in a day…  I keep telling myself, “One day at a time, Kathy. One day at a time…”

Have a great weekend, everyone!  Thanks to Mrs. 4444 for hosting ‘Friday Fragments’ over at halfpastkissintime.com

Published in: on September 27, 2013 at 8:14 am  Comments (9)  
Tags: , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://edshunnybunny.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/a-few-friday-fragments-2/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

9 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Praying for baby Evan to stay put for awhile. I was in charge of my aunt and uncles estate. I hope to never do that again. It was a lot of work, they had a lot of things for me to close and two homes to sell. Thankfully everything was in a living trust which certainly helped the process along.

  2. One day at a time is a good way to move forward. I too pray baby Evan stays put, but it’s good to know he’s a healthy size. I was hospitalized at 7 months and told I’d deliver early with my first, but I went all the way up to my due date and she arrived just a few minutes after midnight the day after. I like his name so much.

  3. It sounds like a very busy ‘normal’ week. My goodness! Wishing you a good weekend, with (hopefully) some time to relax.

  4. Those grandboys do grow out of that separation angst! our youngest started 3 days a week of pre-K this year. He spent most days distraught and crying as another little tyke would get under the table, scream, flail about the whole time.

    The school worked with the parents to move the child to another school where nearly constant one-on-one help was available. With calm restored, our guy is doing fine and loves school.

    I missed any earlier posts about Madison’s home schooling. It’s a big task but worthwhile. All 3 of my brother’s children were homeschooled and all doing well in college and part time jobs.

  5. Oh, and so glad Jennifer and Baby Evan are doing better.

  6. You took the words out of my mouth. When I saw where you were heading about catching up, I thought One day at a time, Kathy. One day at a time.
    By the way, Marcel reaches the top of the cabinet in two leaps. Up to the counter and from the counter to the heavens above.

  7. A busy week for you indeed! I hope all goes well for your daughter-in-law and baby. stay put just a little longer ! I had to deal with everything after my mom died. Its a lot of work and takes a long time to wrap it all up. Good luck and i hope it wraps up easily.

  8. What a scare for Jennifer, that girl has been through enough. I will continue to pray for her and the baby as well as the entire family.
    When my grandson Jimmy was upset with my babysitting every time he saw me I would give him candy. He is 10 now and still associates me with chocolate chip pancakes and ice cream with candy for breakfast.
    One day at a time is a good way to go. I was stunned at the work involved, after the funeral.
    I hope ‘normal’ returns soon:)

  9. I had preterm labor with my son, 21 years ago, and was in the hospital several times over the last three months of my pregnancy. Especially these days, I’m confident your DIL will be fine and that baby will be in good hands when he arrives 🙂

    I also know what it’s like to handle the affairs for a loved one after they’ve passed; I wish you a speedy resolution to all of it.

    Thanks for linking up! Have a great week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: